Find Journal Articles - Key Databases
Find Journal Articles - Multidisciplinary Databases
Searching and Retrieval Tips
These search tips can be used in most of the library's databases. They are typical operations used across different database vendor platforms.
- Use AND to retrieve items that contain both terms. This will narrow the scope of your results: beach erosion AND hurricanes
- Use OR to retrieve items that contain one term or the other. This will expand the scope of your results: nor’easter OR noreaster OR northeaster
- Use drop down menus to specify how to search a term: Search hurricane as a subject heading rather than by keyword to make your results more precise.
- Use * as a wildcard: hurricane* will retrieve hurricane or hurricanes
- Use “ ” to search terms as an exact phrase. This can help make your results more precise.
- If the article in not available in the library or online, use Interlibrary Loan to get it from another library.
- Google the titles of conference papers you want. They may be available as PDF files from their conference or association web site.