Last Updated: Feb 6, 2014
- Academic Search Complete, Indexing and full-text, dates of coverage vary by title (many 1975-present)
This interdisciplinary scholarly collection offers information in nearly every area of academic study, including: sciences, social sciences, arts & literature, ethnic studies, and many more. Full-text for over 6,100 titles (5,100 peer-reviewed); indexing and abstracting for 10,600 titles; complete historical coverage and citation searching for select titles.
- Google Scholar
Use this search to focus on scholarly websites, including many online journals. You can set your preferences to link to Penfield's many databases in this way: 1) choose settings; 2) click library links in the left column and type "SUNY Oswego"; 3) select the link provided; 4) click "save."
- Omnifile Full-Text Select (H.W. Wilson) 1994-present
A full-text database of almost 2000 periodical publications, including coverage of the sciences, humanities, education & other social sciences, business and information science.
These search tips can be used in most of the library's databases. They are typical operations used across different database vendor platforms.
- Use AND to retrieve items that contain both terms. This will narrow the scope of your results: beach erosion AND hurricanes
- Use OR to retrieve items that contain one term or the other. This will expand the scope of your results: nor’easter OR noreaster OR northeaster
- Use drop down menus to specify how to search a term: Search hurricane as a subject heading rather than by keyword to make your results more precise.
- Use * as a wildcard: hurricane* will retrieve hurricane or hurricanes
- Use “ ” to search terms as an exact phrase. This can help make your results more precise.
- If the article in not available in the library or online, use Interlibrary Loan to get it from another library.
- Google the titles of conference papers you want. They may be available as PDF files from their conference or association web site.
Oswego librarians are available now.
SUNY Oswego chat is not available at this time.
Use AskUs 24/7 to chat with a librarian at another college. A librarian will be with you as soon as possible. During busy times, there may be a few minutes wait.