Citation Building Tools
Use these tools to format your reference list citations in APA, Chicago, or MLA styles. Check the accuracy of these citations (e.g. capitalization, indentation, etc.) using a citation guide.
Chicago Style Guides
- Penfield Library's Chicago Notes & Bibliography Style GuideThe Chicago style Notes & Bibliography system is preferred by many writers in literature, history, and the arts.
- Penfield Library's Chicago Author-Date Style GuideThe Chicago style Author-Date system is used by many in the physical, natural, and social sciences.
- Chicago Manual of StyleAvailable in paper copy in Penfield.
- Chicago-Style Citation Quick GuideAlso has a Q&A page with frequently asked questions.
What is a citation manager?
Citation managers are software tools that help researchers gather, organize, and share citations. They can also be used to generate citations in styles unique to particular disciplines.
Use these tools to format your reference list citations, then check the details for accuracy using the correct guide.
- Browser-based and desktop citation manager. You can also share folders with other Zotero users. It works with Microsoft Word as well.
- Account: Zotero is free and open-source, but you do need an account.
- Help tutorials from Zotero.