• Double space between all lines. This guide shows entries single-spaced to save paper.
• Use a hanging indent, with all lines after the first indented.
• List entries alphabetically (by authors’ last names).
• List all authors of a work, up to and including seven authors.
• Use authors’ first and middle initial(s), not whole names.
• Put the date of publication after the author's name(s). If no date, use: n.d.
• If author is unknown, alphabetize by first significant title word (see 6.25, p. 183).
• Capitalize only the first word of a book or article title, the subtitle, and all proper names.
• For a periodical title (i.e., journal or magazine title), capitalize as is on the source.
• Italicize periodical titles and volume number, and book titles.
• For audiovisual media, add note in brackets. Examples: [Audio podcast], [DVD], [Motion picture].
• If you have a source that APA does not include, APA suggests you choose the example that is most like your source and follow that format.
Example of in text caption:
Figure 1. [Title of art work/image], by [Artists' first initial. Artists' last name], [date created] ([Book Title Containing Image/or Database/URL], [publication date of book], p. [pages where image is found])
Artists' last name, First Initial. (Year). Title of the artwork. Retrieved from URL/Database.