We all use Wikipedia, but if you want something authoritative and reliable, Britannica® Academic is a great option. Like all encyclopedias, this source is a good way to find background information on a topic.
- Encyclopedia Britannica - Academic This link opens in a new windowIf the search widget above isn't working, you can click here to access Britannica Academic.
CQ Researcher is a great source for information about current events and controversies. However, it also has some useful historical information, usually about political events (ex. U.S.-Iran relations). We recommend this source when you're having difficulty coming up with a topic. It's also a good tool if you already have an idea, but aren't sure what direction to take.
- CQ Researcher This link opens in a new windowIf the search widget above isn't working, you can click here to access CQ Researcher.
- Opposing Viewpoints In Context (Gale) This link opens in a new windowIf the search widget above isn't working, you can click here to access Opposing Viewpoints.
This source is very similar to Opposing Viewpoints in Context - it's a good place to look for information on controversial issues.
- Points of View Reference Center This link opens in a new windowIf the search widget above isn't working, you can click here to access Points of View Reference Center.
Background Information - General Resources
- Blackwell Dictionary of Political ScienceAlso available in paper copy: Ref JA 61 B43 1999
- Survey of Social Science: Government and Politics SeriesCirculating Collection, 3rd Floor / JA61 .S88 1995
- Concise Oxford Dictionary of PoliticsCirculating Collection, 3rd Floor / JA61 .C665 1996
- Safire's New Political DictionaryCirculating Collection, 3rd Floor / JK9 .S2 1993
Political Philosophy/Political Theory
- Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Political ThoughtOnline version is a reprint of 1987 print version. Also available in paper copy: Ref JA 61 B57 1987
- Contemporary Political Theory: Political Theory and Feminist Social CriticismAlso available in paper copy. Circulating Collection, 3rd Floor / HQ1190 .A29 2000
- New Dictionary of the History of Ideas, (6 v.)Also available in paper copy. Circulating Collection, 3rd Floor / CB9 .N49 2005
- Philosophy of LawCirculating Collection, 3rd Floor / K204 .P49 1999
- Political Philosophy: Theories, Thinkers and ConceptsRef JA71 .P6226 2001
- Political Theory: An Encyclopedia of Contemporary and Classic TermsCirculating Collection, 3rd Floor / JA61 .P66 2009
- Routledge Dictionary of Twentieth-Century Political ThinkersRef JA 83 R725 1998
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy (10 v.)Circulating Collection, 3rd Floor / B51 .R68 1998
Background Information - American Government & Politics/Public Policy & Administration
- The Presidents: A Reference HistoryE 176.1 P918 1996
- Encyclopedia of American Political HistoryE 183 E48 2001
- Gallup Poll, HN 90 P8 G35An annual compilation of opinion poll statistics covering 1935 to present.
- From Suffrage to the Senate: An Encyclopedia of Women in American Politics, HQ 1236.5 U6 S32 1999
- Encyclopedia of Politics: The Left and The Right, [2 v], 2005Also available in paper copy: Ref JA 61 .E54 2005
- Encyclopedia of the American Presidency, Ref JK 511 E53 1994
- CQ's Politics in America, JK 1010 P64
- Biographical directory of the United States Congress, 1774-2005Ref Storage JK1010 .A5 2005
- Congressional Quarterly's Guide to Congress, JK 1021 C565
- Directory of Congressional Voting Scores and Interest Group Ratings, JK 1051 S555 2000
- Congressional Quarterly's Guide to U.S. Elections, Ref JK 1967 C662
- Encyclopedia of the Democratic Party and the Encyclopedia of the Republican Party, JK 2352 K87 1997, 2002
- Oxford Companion to the Supreme Court, Ref KF 8742 A35 O93 2005
- Encyclopedia of Media and Politics, P 95.82 .U6 E47 2007
International Politics/Comparative Politics
- Oxford Companion to Politics of the World, Ref JA 61 O95
- Encyclopedia of Governance, Ref JC 11 .E53 2007
- Encyclopedia of Nationalism, Ref JC 311 E4996 2001
- Encyclopedia of Human Rights, JC 571 E67 1996
- World Encyclopedia of Political Systems and Parties, JF 2011 W67 1999
- United Nations Yearbook, Ref JX 1977 A37 Y4
- GPO Catalog of U.S. Government Publications, July 1976-presentAn index to all types of U.S. government documents, including Congressional hearings and agency publications. Penfield is a Selective Federal Depository.
- Thomas Legislative ServiceOne of the databases listed under Government Documents on the Library's home page. Full text of current legislation.
- Government InformationFull page of government information and websites.
- Background NotesBilateral relations fact sheets from the U.S. Department of State.
- Country StudiesLibrary of Congress - presents a description and analysis of the historical setting and the social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions of countries throughout the world.
- U.S. Census Bureau International Statistical AgenciesLinks to country statistical agencies.
- The World FactbookContains current information and maps from the CIA about countries throughout the world.
Plan Your Research
Not sure how long it will take you to complete an assignment? Want to make sure that you're not stuck at the last minute?
The Assignment Calculator can help you plan your work. Create an account to receive email alerts to keep you on schedule!