Skip to main content

Out in Oswego: LGBTQIA+ Resources

This guide is intended as a resource for LGBTQIA+ people who live in Oswego, either as residents or to attend school here.

Campus Resources

Being trans can offer unique challenges when it comes to navigating different policies and campus offices. Below are some resources intended to assist in that process. Note: for local, off-campus healthcare providers, therapists, and lawyers, check out Accept Oswego's list of Oswego County Resources.

Name changes

If you have legally changed your name, you can submit a Name Change form to the Registrar. The form is located online here, and there is also a list of the documentation you will need to bring.

Once your name is updated in the system, it may take some time to be updated for various departments and units on campus (Parking, Library, Health Center, etc.).

For a new ID card, you can contact the the ID Services office once you have made the change with the Registrar.

If you haven't legally changed your name, you might want to read over the Preferred Name Policy and submit a request form. Any questions about this policy can be directed to the Title IX Coordinator.


If you have changed your legal name with the Registrar, you can contact CTS Help Desk ( or 315-312-3546) to request a new email address. Your old email address will be set up to forward to your new one.

If you haven't legally changed your name, you can get a new email address that better aligns with your identity under the Preferred Name Policy. Your LakerNet ID will remain the same, however. If people have contacted you using the old email address in the past, it will remain in their contacts unless they manually delete it.


The college has a limited number of single rooms in Lonis Hall available to graduate students and upperclassmen. The Village Townhouses offer single bedrooms, with shared bathrooms that are closed off into three sections (shower, toilet, and sink areas); this housing is for juniors and above. Waterbury Hall and Scales Hall have individual bathrooms.

Students are usually assigned to rooms by their legal gender, but Res Life will accommodate requests from trans students to be housed as the gender they identify with. For more information or to make a request, you should contact Res Life

Generally, the college does not allow you to change rooms in the middle of the year. If you are having an issue that can't be resolved with your room assignment, you will have to speak first with your resident assistant, resident mentor, or graduate resident mentor. If this does not resolve your problem, you can go to your residence hall director for additional help or to get advice on the next steps.

According to the ResLife's Student Rights and Responsibilities document, you have the right to live in a secure environment and to be free from intimidation or harassment. If you feel this right is being violated, contact your resident assistant, resident mentor, graduate resident mentor, or hall director. Remember you can check your Resident Student Handbook for policies. If you need to contact ResLife directly, their email address is


At SUNY Oswego, individuals are free to use restrooms and locker rooms consistent with their gender identity or expression. If your rights in this area are challenged or denied, contact the Title IX Coordinator.

Marano Campus Center Arena, 1st floor - ADA Unisex Restroom
Tyler Hall, basement - ADA Unisex Restroom

Scales Hall - all-gender single occupancy restroom on each floor
Walker Health Center - three all-gender restrooms
Waterbury Hall, 1st foor - all-gender restroom

(Tip: try out the website Refuge Restrooms while traveling to find safe restrooms.)

Mental health support

The on-campus Counseling Center offers free counseling to students. There are group counseling sessions, including support groups. Check the schedule on the website for more details about group sessions. You can also receive 4-6 individual counseling sessions per semester with a counselor. If you need more sessions, the counselor will work with you to find off-campus help.

Medical care

The campus health center (Walker Health Center) can't start patients on hormones, but will make referrals to local medical providers. If you have already started hormone therapy and have a prescription, the Health Center can refill it and can help make adjustments to your therapy if needed. 

The Health Center respects chosen names and will include this in your electronic health records. There are also three all-gender restrooms available in the Health Center with plans to make more available soon.

Something to add?

Anonymously submit resources.

Need to talk to someone about this guide? Contact

  All content on this guide is licensed under a CC-BY-NC 4.0 License unless otherwise noted. 

Ask a Librarian