Pose a question that interests you and others
Online Encyclopedias and Guides
- Oxford Encyclopedia of American LiteraturePublication Date: 2004Includes 350 essays encompassing the range and depth of American literary history from the 1600s to the present day. The Encyclopedia includes essays on poets, playwrights, essayists, and novelists, as well as major works and essays on literary movements, periods, and themes.
- Oxford Encyclopedia of British LiteraturePublication Date: 2006
Provides coverage of the history of literature in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland in the major literary languages (Anglo-Saxon, English, Welsh, Scots, Irish, and Latin). Includes accounts of individual authors and histories of particular themes, movements, genres, and institutions.
- Literature Resource Center This link opens in a new windowOnline resource
Biographical and selected critical coverage of the most studied authors & works.
- Dictionary of American History (10 v.)Also found on the 3rd floor of Penfield Library with call number E174 .D52 2003
- Handbook of North American Indians (13 v., more forthcoming), Ref E 77 .H25Published by Smithsonian Institution. Excellent, standard references to start with for historical information. Each volume has a regional focus. Some copies also in the circulating collection.